An intimate documentary performance for ten guests around a table about a gay couple, travelling through its family histories, to write its own story. Getting in touch with ancestors who can only be, who they want to be, when they are not at the place where they believe they would belong to.
Scattered on the table photos, maps, documents and a song book. Around the table sits the audience, a mate tea is circling. The hosts, a gay couple: Federico an Argentinian with Volga German origins, has lived in Berlin for 5 years. And his future husband Wenzel, an East German who was raised amongst the abandoned industries of a disappeared country.
An historical journey is undertaken from the German region of Hesse to the Volga River, to the other side of the Atlantic and back to Berlin. Following the traces of the Volga Germans, who left for Russia in the 18th century and continued their trip to the American continent one hundred years later. Always foreign, always longing for a homeland that never existed.
Reviewing the fragments, the past as well as the present of two families are traced. We are looking for emotions from the past that may be part of who we are now, or in the future. A narration to mould our identity as a couple, a quest to find what the stories of our ancestors might have in common and maybe even reinvent the past.
- Upcoming Performances // 24th October 2020 at 11:00 & 13:30 // Szenario – Festival für Darstellende Künste // Lüneburg
The original dates (16th & 17th May 2020) had to be cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- 23rd to 25th July 2020 // FURORE – International festival for young theatre // Ludwigsburg
Cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic**
- 20th May 2020 at 16:00 & 20:00 + 21st May 2020 at 16:00 // Performing Arts Festival Berlin 2020 // Theaterdiscounter // Selected for the Newcomer’s Platform Introducing… // Berlin // Cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic*
- 14th & 15th February 2020 at 18:00 & 20:30 // TATWERK | Performative Forschung // Berlin
- 31st January & 1st February 2020 at 18:00 & 20:30 // TATWERK | Performative Forschung // Berlin
- 1st & 2nd November 2019 at 19:00 & 21:30 // TATWERK | Performative Forschung // Berlin
- 19th October 2019 at 19:00 & 21:30 // TATWERK | Performative Forschung // Berlin
- 7th September 2019 at 18:00 & 20:30 // Premiere // TATWERK | Performative Forschung // Berlin
* During the festival’s online edition Performing Arts Festival Berlin@home a video recording of the performance was available on demand in the festival’s Digital Showroom. // Based on the performance the festival invited us to create Instructions for those at home #1.
** Instead of the analogue festival we were invited to participate in Screaming into the void with a brief digital statement in form of a video as well as in two online discussions on Digital Theatre – Void and Vision.
Research, Text & Performance Wenzel U. Vöcks & Federico Schwindt